Location of the Project
Heritage signages will be placed around the Grenada based on the Tangible Heritage List/Inventory for its identification and recognition, and ulterior safeguarding. There are fifty (50) points of interest (POI) regarding Heritage sites to be signed/placed. Both parties will decide and choose which heritage sites will be signed.
International community recognized Grenada as the Spice of the Caribbean and as a destination with beautiful natural beaches and landscapes, but local people and communities do not know about the natural and physical heritage sites and cultural expressions and the relevance of preserving heritage assets in Grenada (“A Sustainable Heritage Endorsement Programme – Output 4”, hosted by Grenada National Trust, 2015-2017).
The creation and implementation of “Proud of my Heritage – Signages”: raising awareness among Local People and Visitors for the recognition and promotion of Grenada’s heritage sites” intends to address the needs detected and be a national reference which can contribute to build up a local conscience about Grenada’ heritage identification and promotion.
The Grenada’s Heritage List/Inventory will be a valuable reference-tool which can be used by local community, schools, universities, Government (Physical Planning; Ministry of Tourism, Civil Aviation and Culture; Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry & Fisheries), researchers, tour operators and international organizations. Children can learn more about their root by having and seeing Heritage Signages around the island while they are recognizing and visiting these sites.
We believe that increasing the visibility and access into heritage sites will be an important initiative/step for start raising awareness about the identification, promotion and ulterior preservation of Grenada’s heritage. Local people, visitors and tourism services practitioners can now know the location and meaning of all natural and physical heritage sites and cultural expressions. Children and youth can learn more about their root-heritage by exploring and receiving heritage guides/materials. Visitors will receive accurate and reliable Heritage Tourism information, which can contribute with positive experiences and more domestic income.
Project Objective: To raise awareness among local people and visitors about tangible and intangible heritage assets in Grenada for its recognition and promotion.
- Hire local/regional company for heritage signages design and placement.
- Cleaning of heritage sites as natural landscapes, historic buildings and places that have significant relevance on Local People’s memories.
- Conduct preliminary surveys of heritage sites.
- Place physical signages and road signs in one of the fifty (50) Points of Interest – Heritage assets around Grenada. Quantities of heritage signages placed will be determined by sponsorship/funding received.
- Printing and distribution of heritage guides/material in Grenadian schools.
- Creation of the Grenada Heritage Register – official list for public identification and awareness.
- Launch and promote Grenada’s heritage sites through GNT web page and social media channels.
For more information, please see Grenada National Trust