Proud of My Heritage is a multi-tiered education program designed for students in grades 5 and 6. The focus of the program is to introduce these students to and educate them in the culture of Grenada. They will be exposed to a wide variety of cultural experiences that includes historic buildings, scenic and ecological points of interest, food and many more. Using modern pedagogy, the curriculum will integrate subject matters, engage the students in critical thinking, and move them into the physical environment where their culture has its roots. The purpose for doing this is to codify Grenada culture, teach Grenada culture, and share Grenada culture so that the future generations not only appreciate their past, but are better able to pass it on.
Children can learn more about their heritage by having a Proud of my Heritage -Education Curriculum Program at primary schools who will be and become multiplier agents as they have a heritage mindset, spread the word and create more conscious among their family and community. At medium and long term, they will become a new Pro-Heritage generation as they are aware and participate in heritage activities by identifying, promoting, and preserving their own legacy.
We believe that building the capacity of local teachers and leveraging education as a force for awareness and transforming heritage into an economic engine that empowers and integrates local people as heritage stewards in this generation and beyond, are the certain ways to preserve the Grenada’s Heritage. Proud of my Heritage can be replicated and integrated into Grenada’s Education Curriculum Program.
The main benefits of this Education Program are:
- Intergenerational transmission and interchange of knowledge/skills as children and teachers learn from heritage experts, tradition-bearers and/or elderly people.
- Transfer of heritage knowledge from elder children to younger generations.
- Encourages schoolchildren self-responsibility, respect, proud and cooperation for identifying, promoting and preserving their heritage.
- Encourages the participation of families and neighbours in heritage school activities.
- Mentoring and networking role of teachers and project’ collaborators.
- Hands-on which actively encourages schoolchildren and teachers to learn while they are observing, doing research, understanding and experimenting their heritage sites/topics. The Learning Management Web Development is created and implemented as an interactive and useful tool where students, teachers and parent can access to the Heritage Program, including heritage guide and material in printed version.